Wednesday 9 June 2010

Review: Make Believe Self Tan Lotion with Bronzer

As you are all aware, I am quite the fake tan aficionado. Being Irish and all that jazz, the girls I grew up with were obsessed with colouring their skin as deep an orange as possible. So much so that I believe my old Bebo account (God, now that really was a long time ago) from back in the day cites "waking up to a biscuity smell and a satsuma-hued glow" as one of my favourite things.

It kind of still is.

Which is what upset me about Make Believe, or more specifically, as I don't like to paint all products under the same brand name with the same brush, Self Tan Lotion with Bronzer. Now, first things first. My tanning preferences require a good, dark colour. I'm not saying it HAS to be orange, but I would like to look pretty damn sunkissed if I'm going to the hassle of messing up my bedsheets and enduring the smell of DHA penetrating layers of my skin for a night. This is difficult to achieve on skin which naturally has a transparent white to bluish tone. Seriously, you can't get any paler than this. Which is why, dear friends, I wear fake tan EVERY SINGLE DAY OF MY LIFE. No exceptions. - plus it makes you look skinnier. Which is all important.

So on Monday night I applied a layer of the above lotion. The stuff itself does smell lovely, like some sort of delicious summer dessert. As all tanning fans will know, that's pretty damn hard to achieve. St Tropez tried it with their promising "Aromaguard" technology, but sadly all they managed was to make the cream smell more like a bottle of Veet Hair Removal than a tanning lotion. Unfortunate. The colour of the bronzer in the Make Believe stuff is very nice it has to be said, and creates a good colour straight away. The problem occurs the next morning. So I wake up, admire my glow with the bronzer and hop in the shower. I get out, pat myself dry and take a glance at my gorgeous tanned self. Not a bit of it. There is literally no change. My skin is still no darker than my (white) bathroom tiles. You can imagine how upsetting this was for me. In fact, the effect was so negligible, I was forced to wear a long sleeved top, as I couldn't bear my pale arms to the glare of the general public.

Not to be deterred by a minor setback (I'd also heard good reviews on other blogs about the same product, AND it did come with a fairly hefty price tag - albeit with a third off in Boots!) I decided that perhaps due to the unnaturally pale colour of my limbs, it needed another application. And so I went through the same process last night. I awoke this morning full of hopes and dreams of brown arms. These were dashed when the same problem occurred. There is perhaps a mild colour difference between an un-fake-tanned bit and a Make Believe-ed bit. But not much. Certainly not enough when you consider that the tan was working on what can only be described as the blankest of canvases. Disappointment indeed.

As I'm going out tonight I'm going to have to resort to desperate measures and rub on a bit of the old faithful Sally Hansen. It has never let me down. And in the meantime, it'll be back to Fake Bake. Although my beauty PR friend has handed me a bottle of Rodial's Brazilian Tan Dark - the very darkest fake tan on the market.

Do I dare?

No comments:

Post a Comment