Thursday 17 June 2010

Bras for the Bigger Busted Lady

As you may or may not be aware, I am the owner of a pair of considerably dimensioned assets. Coupled with my petite frame, it all starts to look a bit Pamela Anderson at times. Ironically I have met Pamela Anderson. And have her poster on the inside of my wardrobe. But let's save that story for another time.

Now, for the larger boobed ladies of the world, underwear shopping poses quite a challenge. For the slender of back and large of breast this challenge is compounded further. In this age of boob jobs, you would imagine finding a 32E or, God forbid, a 32F wouldn't be a massive (excuse the pun) problem, what with all the Jordanesque girls around. Apparently companies just refuse to make this size. So for several years, La Senza was the only refuge I had - unless I wanted to go down the Freya route - giant gauze cups, God-awful patterns and 3 inch wide straps. Could you imagine one of those sexy numbers poking out of the side of a tank top? The horror. Even in the saving grace that was La Senza, it was difficult enough to find something was:

a) black, red or pink - the only underwear colours I deem acceptable. Don't even go near me with a nude. It makes me want to vomit.

b) didn't have massive shoulder straps to keep everything adequately "supported".

c) attractive but didn't have appliqued flowers/hearts/polka dots or most alarmingly, pinstripes. Just in case you wanted to channel your inner business woman through your underwear choices. I like lace. That is all.

So for years I battled onwards, in the hope of eventually finding where all the silicone enhanced ladies of the land buy their lingerie. Today, I was nearing my wits end. I had searched ever faithful M&S (same strap problem, or worse, anything above a D consisted of a mesh cup. I have a nipple phobia. So much so that a former flatmate used to deliberately not wear a bra and see how long I could stand her for. The thought of a visible nipple through a mesh cup actually makes me gag), La Senza and Selfridges. My last hope was Debenhams. And behold, I struck lucky. Usually I cannot abide Debenhams, as they separate the bras into sections based on size, which always proves terribly embarrassing, especially when there is stray lost male in the vicinity and you happen to be perusing bras with cups bigger than his head. But they had a plethora of colours and sizes and skinny straps and lace and nice matching french knickers and it just so happened to be a half price sale. Phew. It was great. So, just some words of wisdom for those who share my plight. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment