Monday 11 November 2013

Review: Monu Illuminating Primer SPF 15

I’m a big fan of any SPF-containing product which can help me fight the good fight against premature aging and uneven skin pigmentation (read “freckles” – my nemesis). I have been wearing an SPF under my make up since the tender age of 14 so I have tried every UV ray blocker on the market. As my daily routine sadly involves getting into the office before the sun rises and stepping out into darkness again at 5pm, I thought I would lessen the protection for the winter months (I’m usually a Factor 50 girl) and up the skin quenching vitamins.

Hence the arrival of the Monu Illumination Primer SPF 15 to my beauty routine. I’m not traditionally one for primers – mainly because after I use my Skinceuticals Pigment Regulator, Clarins Eye Cream and an SPF, I feel like an added primer would simply create a greasy, shiny canvas for my foundation. As with many things, too many layers surely complicate the issue. But on receiving a sample I decided to give the Monu Primer a whirl. As with all Monu products, it’s derived from natural ingredients and smells like a delicious spa treatment when applied. The blurb involves all sorts of chat about radiance and antioxidants, all good words I believe.

The cream itself is alarmingly thick – you will squeeze too much out on your first go so be gentle – a little goes a long way. Despite the rich texture it sinks in to the skin well and feels like it really is moisturising rather than simply acting as a barrier. Make up can easily be applied after five minutes and glides on. My biggest problem (despite having dry skin) was a shiny t-zone with SPF creams which seemed immune to even the thickest layers of loose powder and furious blotting. But Monu seems to keep a matte consistency yet still manages to brighten my skin. I will stop short of using the word “illuminate” here – that is both physically impossible and not what the product does – but it certainly makes my skin look fresh and hydrated.

If only Monu did a SPF 50 version for the summer months...my t-zone would certainly thank them.

No comments:

Post a Comment