Tuesday 10 December 2013

Review: Lush Big Shampoo

I’m a big fan of volume. Anything that promises to make my hair bigger, bouncier and downright outrageous in height is worth the money as far as I am concerned. So when a friend recommended Big Shampoo by Lush, it is safe to say I was fairly intrigued. I don’t usually believe the hype around shampoos and conditioners which claim to give you sleekness, volume or silky curls – as long as it doesn’t leave my hair lank and heavy with product I’m happy to roll with it.

For starters, Big Shampoo doesn’t come cheap. At £11.50 for a pot (it comes in a useful screw top tub rather than the usual tube) it certainly isn’t your typical Boots buy. The texture is reminiscent of an abrasive sugar scrub - this definitely isn’t like any shampoo you have used before. Rubbing the citrus scented granules into your head is counter-intuitive, it feels like you are simply tangling and pulling the strands. However after a minute or two, satisfying foam appears and the salt disintegrates. A good conditioner is a must après-Big Shampoo as the hair will seem slightly matted (hence the sea salt – for that beachy effect). After applying a detangling spray and pulling through carefully with a wide toothed comb, dry as normal. This is where the magic happens.

During blow-drying, I noticed a stiffness as I ran my hands through the roots and lengths – almost resembling a chalky (although invisible) coating. This made my hair sit taller and stay set – it barely moved – a feat even Elnett can’t achieve. It smelt glorious all day, a heady mix of lemons, limes and vanilla. People commented on my new “big” hair, a colleague even noting that I had probably gained a few inches in height due to the volume I was sporting on top.

£11.50 may be a bit steep for your average shampoo, but the catch is that this is far from average. Go forth and volumize, children!

No comments:

Post a Comment